The Senate Corrections and Criminal Law Committee heard HB 1057 sponsored by Sens. Boots, Bray and Young on pretrial diversion.
- provides that the initial user fee amount for a diversion agreement involving a misdemeanor is $50;
- provides that the initial user fee amount for a diversion agreement involving a felony is $75,
- allows a court to impose on a person an additional program fee or cost that is reasonably related to the person’s rehabilitation,
- prohibits a monthly user fee from being collected beyond the maximum length of a possible sentence, and
- makes conforming amendments.
The Indiana Prosecuting Attorneys Council testified in support of the bill. Indiana Public Defender Council testified in opposition. The bill passed 8-0.
Read the bill at http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018/bills/house/1057