The Senate Judiciary Committee heard HB 1064 sponsored by Sen. Crider, Sen. Zay and Sen. Walker regarding courts and magistrates. Rep. Cherry presented the bill which:
- adds a superior court in Hamilton County, allows the judges of the Decatur Circuit and Superior courts to jointly appoint a magistrate to serve the Decatur County courts;
- allows the judges of the Huntington Circuit and Superior courts to jointly appoint a magistrate to serve the Huntington County courts;
- allows the judge of the Lake Superior court division No. 4 to appoint a magistrate to serve the Lake Superior court division No. 4;
- allows the Marion County Superior courts to appoint 27 full-time magistrates after December 31, 2021, not more than 14 of whom may be from the same political party;
- removes the sixth circuit court in Delaware County; and
- provides a full-time magistrate for Hancock County.
The bill was amended by consent to delay the implementation of the new Hamilton superior court by one year.
Marion Superior Court Judge Heather Welch testified in support of the bill. The amended bill passed 8-1.
Read the bill at: http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2021/bills/house/1064