H.E.A. 1199, P.L. 86
Effective: July 1, 2021; §§4-7 effective December 31, 2021
- Provides that the Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) shall stay a suspension of a person’s driving privileges, and terminate that suspension, upon a showing of proof of future financial responsibility, and provides that an individual whose suspension has been terminated because the individual submitted proof of future financial responsibility is not required to pay a reinstatement fee.
- Requires that the BMV terminate a suspension of a person’s driving privileges if the BMV does not receive proof that financial responsibility is not in effect after 180 days.
- Provides that a suspension may be stayed and then terminated if aperson fails to pay the judgment.
- Provides that a warrant may be issued for failing to appear in a traffic violation case if the charge is a misdemeanor or a felony.
- Provides that a person whose support obligation is enforced by the Title IV-D agency may have the obligor’s driving privileges reinstated.
- Provides that the BMV shall place in forbearance license reinstatement fees of individuals who: (1) are nonviolent offenders; (2) have completed a criminal sentence or are serving terms of probation or parole; and (3) are enrolled in job training or maintain consistent employment for at least three years following completion of job training.
- Provides that the BMV shall waive all reinstatement fees and reinstate the driving privileges of an individual who has had reinstatement fees placed in forbearance after the individual maintains consistent employment for at least three years.
- Provides that the BMV, in collaboration with the Department of Correction, shall administer programs and activities to facilitate the reinstatement of driving privileges for convicted offenders not later than July 1, 2021.
- Extends the traffic amnesty program for one year to permit certain persons owing unpaid traffic fines, or who may be required to pay a fee for reinstatement of driving privileges, to obtain a reduction in the amount owed or amount payable.
Read the bill at: http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2021/bills/house/1199